What warms the soul better than a plate of a homemade noms? Possibly knowing that it’s low in fat, high in nutrients, and was super-easy to prepare. I whipped up some simple enchiladas for quick lunches and hearty dinners last week and was very pleased with how they turned out. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes, the creaminess of the protein-packed beans, and the crunch of the kale all worked together very nicely.
Here’s the recipe:
Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Kale Enchiladas
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
1 can of black beans
1 large sweet potato
2-3 stems of kale, leaves torn into chunks
8 whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork and microwave for 4-5 minutes on one side, flip, and microwave another 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Give the tomatoes and onions a whirl in the food processor until you have a slightly chunky sauce.
- Once sweet potato is cooked, scoop out the insides and mix well with black beans and kale.
- Prepare a large plate with a few spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce. Add a few spoonfuls of the sauce to a 9×13 pan to cover the bottom.
- Take one tortilla and place each side onto the plate with the sauce, getting each side coated. Add about 1/2-3/4 cup of the filling to the middle of the tortilla. Add 1-2 spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce. Roll up tortilla and place in the baking pan. Repeat until you have filled the pan.
- Spoon the rest of the sauce over the tortillas. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy with some vegan sour cream or melted vegan cheese (or not, if you want to keep it fat-free!).
Coming up: a review of some awesome snacks which made their way to my door today!