Typically, I follow recipes for such endeavors, but taking a chance with whatever ingredients were on hand proved to be successful! I had initially wanted to make a cashew cream, but my cashews were rancid… rice milk and Leahey Garden’s powdered cheese sauce were an excellent substitute.
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot and sauté onions and asparagus until tender. Add garlic at the very end and sauté it a little longer.
- Add crushed red pepper and cheese sauce mix.
- Slowly add rice milk until you reach desired consistency.
- Blend with immersion blender until creamy (or leave a few chunks of asparagus for a chowder-style soup).
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
What kinds of soups do you enjoy during the hot summer months?