Grocery shopping is either the most exciting time of my week (yay, food!) or a dreadful affair. Hitting up the shops when I don’t really have a plan for my weekly meals tends to make me feel a little anxious, but I can always rely on having some weekly staples which I buy – and eat – every week.
Depending on the season or my tastes these essential items may fluctuate, but mostly stay the same because they are so versatile. Check out the five healthy must-haves you will find in my cart every week:
- Bananas. Up to three bunches at a time will make their way to the top of my fridge, where they will ripen and be ready for chopping and storage in the freezer. I am someone who consumes one to three smoothies per day, and so having frozen bananas around is an absolute must. Green smoothies in the morning, post-workout smoothies in the evening, and perhaps the evening milkshake-style smoothie for dessert – it’s banana city around here.
- Tofu. The ubiquitous blocks of soy that can do so much in the kitchen can always be found in my fridge. Mostly tofu is transformed into lazy weekend scrambles, yet dry-frying and baking (freeze it first to get an awesome, chewy texture!) also have their places in our meal rotations.
- Greens. Jam-packed with vitamins and minerals, it is essential to squeeze greens into our daily meals in our home. Whether it’s whirling them into a smoothie, mixing them into a casserole, or eating them fresh in a salad, some type of green is always available. Spinach, arugula, and kale are our favorites.
- Cucumbers. I don’t know what it is, but cucumbers have always been a favorite of mine. It may be their refreshing quality or the satisfying crunch, but they are fabulous hummus-dippers, juicing ingredients, and snacks all on their own (or with a pinch of salt). In the summer months cucumber salads and flavored water are perfect ways to beat the heat.
- Citrus fruits. This one is a recent addition to my weekly grocery haul. Every time I remind myself “Oh yeah, I love clementines!” I do not regret the next week of having sweet and juicy fruits within reach. Juicing carrots, oranges, and turmeric root is a healthy treat, as well.
What grocery staples do you find in your fridge or pantry every week?